If you are a principal authority or authorisation administrator you can create authorisations and grant levels of access for other users.
On this page:
- Before you start
- Authorising tax professionals
- Levels of access
- How to add a new authorisation
- Authorisation codes
Check with the user you are authorising that:
- they have set up their digital identity, such as myGovID
- you’re entering the user’s legal name that matches the name they used in their digital identity
- you’re using the appropriate email address. The address should only be accessed by the user and does not need to be the address they used for their digital identity.
If you need to set up an authorisation in RAM for an employee who is a registered agent, you must use the ABN registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB). You cannot use the ABN of an associated entity. If you are not sure which ABN to use, contact the TPB to check which entity is registered.
If your business appoints another business to manage your tax affairs such as a tax professional practice, you will use the ATO’s Access Manager to establish the authorisation. Meaning, you don’t authorise the practice or tax professional in RAM and they don’t use RAM to authorise you.
RAM is connected to the ATO’s Access Manager. This means when you authorise a person to act for a business using RAM, you can set their permissions in Access Manager at the same time.
For each government online service, you can authorise users with either:
- Full access to all online services offered by the government agency
- Custom access to select government online services.
- Select Manage authorisations
- Select the business name you would like the user to work on behalf of
- Click the Add new user button.
You will then complete the following labels:
- Representative details – including the user’s name and email address
- Authorisation details – select Yes or No if you want the user to become an Authorisation administrator. Enter a start and end date for the authorisation, it cannot be back dated or left blank
- Agency Access – select the Full or Custom level of access of the agency for the user
- Summary - review details and accept the Declaration
- Customise access – if custom access is given you will be redirected to the agency to set permissions, as the ATO’s Access Manager.
You have finished the steps in adding a new authorisation and a request has been sent to the user to accept. The authorisation will remain pending until the user accepts the request using their authorisation code.
An authorisation code is automatically emailed to the authorised user when they are set up to accept or decline. The code is valid for seven days.
Re-issuing authorisation codes
If an authorisation code has expired or is not working, the principal authority or authorisation administrator will need to re-issue a code. To do this:
- Select Manage authorisations
- Select the business name associated with the user you
- Click View of the users name which will have a pending status
- Click Re-issue a code under the authorisation code details
- You will see a confirmation message the code has been re-issued, click Continue.
- Authorised users for information about receiving authorisation codes