Relationship Authorisation Manager terms and conditions
Find out about your rights and responsibilities when using Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM).
Last updated December 2023
On this page
- About these terms and conditions
- How these terms and conditions apply
- Your obligations
- Our obligations
In these terms and conditions:
- ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ means the ATO
- ‘you’ and ‘your’ means you as the user of this service
- ‘service’ means this electronic data system provided by the ATO
- ‘person’ includes an individual, a partnership and anybody whether incorporated or not.
Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM) is a digital service administered by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) as part of the Australian Government's Digital ID System.
When you use this service, we make it available to you on the conditions of use current as at that time. These terms and conditions may change over time. Those current at a given time are those then published on this page.
Your use of the service must be consistent with the Trusted Digital Identity Framework (TDIF). For more information on the TDIF see Digital ID system.
These terms and conditions are governed by and follow the laws for the time being in force in the Australian Capital Territory, Australia.
If you use your myGovID or another Digital Identity to access this service, you must:
- comply with the terms and conditions that relate to that Digital Identity provider
- always keep your Digital Identity credential secure
- not disclose or share your Digital Identity with others.
You must not attempt to use a Digital Identity to access this service if that identity.
- has not been issued to you
- has been revoked by its issuing authority.
If the security of your Digital Identity has been compromised, or if there is any change in the information used to set up your Digital Identity, you must notify the issuing authority immediately.
You are responsible for the security and use of the service. You must comply with all security requirements and instructions provided by us.
Data about individuals and entities provided to you through this service is confidential. You must ensure that unauthorised persons do not have access to that data. If your computer will be unattended, you must log out from this service or lock your computer.
You must notify the RAM support line on 1300 287 539 (option 3) immediately if you suspect or become aware that someone has inappropriately accessed your business details.
Acting for another person
To use this service to access data relating to, or to carry out a transaction for, another person or entity:
- you must be currently appointed by that entity to access that information or carry out that transaction on their behalf and that appointment must not have been revoked
- if that appointment is based on you holding a certain position (for example, as that other person’s employee or agent for tax purposes) – you must currently hold that position
- if that appointment is based on you holding a certain qualification (for example, as a registered tax agent) – you must currently hold that qualification and it must not be suspended or cancelled.
To use the service, you must:
- provide information that is correct, current, and complete to create, manage and accept an authorisation
- not use the service to impersonate any person or otherwise misrepresent your authority to act on behalf of the entity.
If you are using this service to create or edit authorisations for another person, you must confirm the identity of each person for whom you are creating or editing that authorisation.
Responsibility for actions
You will be responsible for (and you indemnify us against) any loss or damage to any person arising from either any:
- breach by you of these terms and conditions
- wilful, negligent, or unlawful act or omission by you in relation to, or while using this service.
However, your liability to us will be reduced to the extent that any wilful, negligent or unlawful act or omission by us has contributed to that loss or damage.
Your responsibility for activities undertaken by you through this service will continue despite ceasing to use this service or having access to it.
RAM will collect, use, store and share your personal information as detailed in the RAM Privacy Notice. We will disclose your personal information to third parties if:
- you have provided your consent to do so
- it is authorised or required by law.
We may use or disclose your information to analyse, detect, manage and investigate fraudulent activity or for another purpose allowable under the TDIF.
Any disputes between you and any third-party provider, including another Accredited Participant of the Digital ID System, must be resolved between you and that party.
We make the service and software available to you to use, in unaltered form, solely for use with the service.
You must ensure your use of the software complies with all applicable conditions of use, including third party software licensing conditions of use, relevant laws, including local laws in any relevant foreign country if you use the software outside Australia. Those laws may impact your eligibility to get or use a copy of the software
If you breach any of these terms and conditions, you must:
- immediately advise us of that breach
- immediately stop using this service
- not use this service again until we advise you can.
Privacy and TDIF obligations
We are bound by:
- the RAM system is also accredited by the Trusted Digital Identity Framework which governs the ATO’s management of the system, and
- the common law – we will ensure that this service complies with the Privacy Act and TDIF at all times.
Provision of this service
- limit your ability to use this service
- suspend, cancel, or terminate your access to this service at any time
- determine the times and periods during which service transmissions can take place
- review the activities of users of this service to ensure they are meeting the relevant terms and conditions of use.
This service and linked sites
This service may not contain all the information that you need. We do not own (or endorse) the information on non-ATO sites, even if linked to from an ATO site. The ATO takes no responsibility for your use of a non-ATO site or the information on it.
Information sent via this service
We are not responsible for either:
- the accuracy, veracity and completeness of material transmitted to us
- errors in the manner of the input of material transmitted to us
- any information you may lose because of equipment or power failures or our servers terminating your session due to prolonged periods of inactivity.
We will not be liable for any damages (including for loss of profits, goodwill, information, data or other intangible losses) resulting from either:
- the use or inability to use this service
- unauthorised access or alterations of your transmissions to or from this service
- activities resulting from the loss or misuse of your Digital Identity (for example, myGovID), password or other access mechanism
- statements or conduct of any third party
- any other matter relating to this service.
No warranties by the ATO
Except as specified in these terms and conditions, we give no implied or express warranties in relation to the use of this service. All statutory warranties are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, expressly excluded.