As the principal authority, you need to link your business in RAM before you can authorise others to access government online services on behalf of your business.
The principal authority is a person responsible for the business, such as:
- a sole trader
- an eligible individual associate listed on an Australian business number (ABN) in the Australian Business Register (ABR), for example a
- public officer
- an office bearer of a club or association
- a primary person (no individual associates listed in the ABR) who holds one of the following roles, for a
- company – the director or public officer for the corporate trustee or subsidiary company
- government entity – the authorised contact
- Australian charity or not-for-profit organisation – the director or public officer of the corporate trustee or subsidiary company or the Responsible Person
- deceased estate – the executor after probate is granted
- unincorporated association – the office holder.
Before you start
Set up your myGovID with a Standard identity strength. You’ll use your myGovID to log into RAM.
- myGovID – to find out how to set up your myGovID
How to link your business
The way to link your business in RAM depends on whether you are a:
To link your business in RAM:
- log into RAM using your digital identity, such as myGovID
- select Link my business – you will be redirected to the ATO to find your business or businesses
- add your postal or residential address (as held by the ATO) and select Continue
- select the business or businesses (where you are an eligible individual associate in the ABR) that you wish to link from the list and select Continue
- enter an email address and select Send email to receive an authorisation code (the email address can be different to the one used to set up your digital identity, for example a work email address), enter the code and then select Verify and Continue
- view the summary of the selected business or businesses and select the checkbox to declare you understand and accept, then select Submit
- a message will display confirming your business is successfully linked, then select Continue.
You’ll then be able to set up authorisations for others. This includes setting up authorisation administrators who can then set up authorisations for others.
If you can’t find your business in RAM, your details on the ABR may not be up to date. For example you may not be listed as the sole trader or eligible individual associate, or your name might not match your legal name used in your myGovID. Find out how to check and update your ABR details.
If you’re a primary person (no individual associates listed in the ABR), your role should be recorded in either the:
- Australian Business Register (ABR)
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC)
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations (ORIC)
- Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC).
There may be more than one primary person able to link an ABN, but only one needs to complete the linking process.
To link an ABN in RAM:
- phone 1300 287 539 and select option 3
- you’ll need to provide personal details to complete a proof-of-identity check
- checks will be completed to confirm your association to the business
- once confirmed, you’ll receive an email with an authorisation code and summary of the authorisation request
- log into RAM using your myGovID to accept the request and complete the link.
You’ll then be able to set up authorisations for others in RAM. This includes setting up authorisation administrators who can then set up authorisations for others.